Warrawee is a suburb on the Upper North Shore of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Warrawee is located 21 kilometres north-west of the Sydney Central Business District in the local government area of Ku-ring-gai Council. Warrawee is predominantly a residential area with few commercial entities.
Warrawee is believed to have come from an Aboriginal word meaning rest a while, stop here or to stand.
In 1888, the public servant and patron of exploration Frederick Ecclestone du Faur built his house Pibrac in Pibrac Avenue. The house was designed by John Horbury Hunt, a Canadian architect who settled in Australia and favoured the Arts and Crafts style, as well as the North American Shingle style, which he introduced to Australia. Later alterations were carried out by B.J.Waterhouse. The house is composed predominantly of timber, with extensive use of timber shingles, on a sandstone base. It is considered a good example of Hunt’s work and is listed on the Register of the National Estate.
The Pacific Highway is the main arterial road. Warrawee railway station is on the North Shore Line of the City Rail network. The railway station built in 1900 was last one built on the North Shore Line before it was extended to North Sydney. Local residents had to fight the railway commissioners for a train station, that is only one kilometre from Wahroonga.
Warrawee Public School is situated about 0.5 kilometres to the south of the station, on the Pacific Highway.
Knox Grammar School is predominately in the suburb of Warrawee, and sits no more than 200m from Warrawee railway station. The school lists its address as Wahroonga as the Administration Office of the school has a Wahroonga address.
Above information has been sourced from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.